Page 1 of 1
Swapping W213 diesel for S213 petrol. Is that a bad plan?
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026
by quinton.iqbalxr
Hey there, everyone!
Since I mostly drive around town, I'm thinking of trading in my W213 E220D saloon for an S213 E200 2L petrol.
This mild hybrid electric vehicle (MHEV; Mercedes calls it power EQ) is a 2022 model with 35,000 miles on the odometer.
Anyone ever had trouble with an MHEV? The expected lifespan of the vehicle is five to ten years. From what I've read online, it's quite complicated and prone to problems like needing a new battery, etc.
It is difficult to determine if I am merely shifting my focus from a previously identified issue (diesel adblue) to an even more significant one (batteries)?!
I should mention that I exercise caution when using the e220d. A highway run is something I do every two to three weeks to keep dpf happy. Apply anti-crystallization to the adblue tank and, on most occasions, let the vehicle reach operating temperature before using it.
I am grateful.
Re: Swapping W213 diesel for S213 petrol. Is that a bad plan?
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026
by leifjx
For those of us who hold on to cars for the long haul, I believe you've brought to light the present issue. I have some reservations about MHEVs and have been thinking about getting a new one for a while now. For me, long-term concerns arise because I tend to keep new purchases, unlike someone who might not give a second thought to a lease if it were for three years.
The hybrid battery warranties offered by various companies seem to vary; in my research, I have found that the majority of companies do not provide an extended warranty for the 48v battery. In my opinion, the verdict is still out.
Although they aren't MBs, the 340 is a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV), but I can't speak to the 340's interior because I've never been in one. The 5-series were MHEVs from around 2020, I believe, but they were smaller cars.
My ramblings do not, alas, address your question

Re: Swapping W213 diesel for S213 petrol. Is that a bad plan?
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026
by raffael.rutherfordhu
I wouldn't buy a motorbike from any manufacturer if it had Adblue or any hybrid in it. Given the complexity of the interconnections between the two drive systems, I doubt I will be able to fix it on my own. My next vehicle will be a gas-only vehicle, but I intend to continue driving my current non-Adblue derv.Although I am not opposed to hybrids, I prefer driving a regular gas-powered vehicle because I simply do not like electric vehicles.
I don't really like many new, plasticy, electronic, screen-infested cars, which is a downside for most people with my choice/taste in cars. On the plus side, though, I am limited to older cars.
Re: Swapping W213 diesel for S213 petrol. Is that a bad plan?
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026
by quinton.iqbalxr
Wow, those who own cars for an extended period of time (five years or more) are in a world of hurt.
Adblue headache = diesel
Most of them are now MHEVs, which means gas, which means their 48v batteries are a pain.
Having a combustion engine and a battery system adds complexity to plug-in petrol hybrids.
Pure EV = could be a more favourable choice
I was seriously contemplating making the switch to one of those self-charging petrol hybrids (like a Lexus) with the 10-year warranty, but apparently they have a serious problem with car theft (for more information, search up CAN-bus theft).
In most respects, older gas-powered vehicles would suffice, but they simply cannot compete with the visual appeal of contemporary vehicles.
Re: Swapping W213 diesel for S213 petrol. Is that a bad plan?
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026
by dorian_enriquezq
I could be completely ignorant of this.
Is there anything wrong with a BMW 520i or 320i that is five years old and has very low mileage? Electric vehicle, no battery.
The most up-to-date technology, sleek design, and 45+ mpg in the real world are all here.
The 2020 BMW 330e touring that I am currently utilising has not shown any signs of any issues. With the exception of a shattered door handle,
Is there anyone you know whose second-generation plug-in hybrid has experienced real issues?
Re: Swapping W213 diesel for S213 petrol. Is that a bad plan?
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026
by quinton.iqbalxr
Impressive 520i shoutout!
No one I know has ever had problems with their second-generation plug-in hybrid.
My research on the subject is the only source.
Re: Swapping W213 diesel for S213 petrol. Is that a bad plan?
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026
by carstenmacphersonsv
I upgraded from my S211 E220d to a petrol S213 E200 when I retired. The car had almost no miles on it. I didn't think I was putting enough miles on the adblue to justify a diesel, and the adblue was a real pain. The 2019 S213 had a mere 15,000 miles on the odometer. Maybe a pre-MHEV with low mileage could be a good substitute?