Page 1 of 1

Can you rebuild the rear differential on an E46 318i?

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2026
by opheliaabernathyai
My gearbox shop diagnosed the rear differential as beginning to wear, but they said it is not yet dangerously noisy, so I took it there.

I was hoping someone might know of a shop that rebuilds or fixes this model because my wife wants to keep the car. The mechanic I took it to said they couldn't fix it because the vehicle is so old and parts are so hard to come by.

Due to the lack of a warranty, I am hesitant to purchase used differentials from eBay.

Re: Can you rebuild the rear differential on an E46 318i?

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2026
by hadrianrr
Give this a go

Re: Can you rebuild the rear differential on an E46 318i?

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2026
by hadrianrr

Re: Can you rebuild the rear differential on an E46 318i?

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2026
by opheliaabernathyai
Much obliged. Plus, it's not too far to the store.

Their total quote for a bare diff was £595 (they only rebuild; they don't remove) in case anyone is curious.