Page 1 of 2

Am I able to mend my 2005 TPMS on my own?

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026
by crispin_couturierz
My 2005 Toyota's TPMS, meanwhile, has stopped functioning properly. No matter what, it continues after twenty minutes. I am aware that this is a previous model that determines a low tyre pressure using comparative wheel rotation. The processor appears to have everything hard-coded. Could it be possible for me to resolve this issue on my own?

Re: Am I able to mend my 2005 TPMS on my own?

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026
by crispin_couturierz

Re: Am I able to mend my 2005 TPMS on my own?

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026
by leifjx
The wheel speed sensor on one of the wheels has probably failed. In addition to ABS and VSC warnings, are you also receiving them?

Re: Am I able to mend my 2005 TPMS on my own?

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026
by crispin_couturierz
Absolutely not.

Re: Am I able to mend my 2005 TPMS on my own?

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026
by blaisecj
The battery in one of them is about to die?

Re: Am I able to mend my 2005 TPMS on my own?

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026
by leifjx
However, unlike the battery-powered variety, the Solara does not employ direct TPMS. This method of inferring tyre pressure is indirect and depends on the variations between and the speed of wheel rotation.

Re: Am I able to mend my 2005 TPMS on my own?

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026
by blaisecj
That is really helpful; I was unaware of that.
However, those can be reset using the appropriate TPMS tool, can't they?

Re: Am I able to mend my 2005 TPMS on my own?

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026
by leifjx
Starting on page 151 of the 2004 model year owner's manual you can find the instructions for resetting the TPMS. There must be it in the other Owner's Manuals as well, since the same system was used for this run of the Solaras.

Re: Am I able to mend my 2005 TPMS on my own?

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026
by leifjx
By the way, to start all over, make sure that the cold inflation pressure of each of your four tires is the same and adhere strictly to the reset procedure outlined in the Owner's Manual. Failure to do so will result in repeated false TPMS alerts.

The absence of VSC or ABS warnings leads me to believe that the system was either not reset or reset incorrectly following the correction of any inflation discrepancies. I really like the indirect TPMS system because it saves me from dealing with the seemingly never-ending string of battery failures on random sensors in our household's vehicles, even if they all began life at the same time.

In my opinion, TPMS is unnecessary. The frequency with which I check the pressure in my tires has decreased from once every month to twice a month. Even now, that is considered the benchmark.

Re: Am I able to mend my 2005 TPMS on my own?

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026
by leifjx
Page 159 of the PDF file, which is marked as page 151, contains instructions for resetting the TPMS for the indirect system that is used. The method for resetting the system, which begins on page 153, was necessary for me.