GPF system filtrate system not covered by warranty?

MG ZS car discussion forum
Lynsey

GPF system filtrate system not covered by warranty?

Post by Lynsey » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:31 pm

Hi can anyone advise please. I only brought my MG ZS Jan 2019 brand new anyway one of the reasons was the 7 year warranty. My G Particular filter went today red light came on and car had to go to garage. They are now saying not covered by warranty and I have to pay over £1000 to get fixed! It didn’t even give me an Amber warning just straight on red light. Surely that is a fault? Has anyone else had this issue? Are they right? I am really upset still paying it off and I wouldn’t expect after only 2 years to have to pay so much.

PMG

Re: GPF system filtrate system not covered by warranty?

Post by PMG » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:10 pm

Lynsey,

I also have a MG ZS albeit the newer 2020 model, which also has a Gasoline Particulate Filter (GPF). So your post caught my eye.

The item you refer to is part of the exhaust system and they are fairly new to petrol cars, and are a spin-off from Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF). They are there to reduce emissions by collecting particulates in the exhaust gas, which are them burnt off by very high heat generated under certain driving conditions to clean them and prevent clogging. Long engine braking /deceleration with a hot engine is when it happens.

And therein lies the problem. A DPF is monitored and managed by the car computer system and is injected with an onboard treatment when it requires cleaning (although they also prone to fail), but a GPF only cleans when the car is under a long deceleration, which raises oxygen levels in the exhaust and burn/cleans the GPF.

If you use your car for short runs and don't do any long decelerating under engine-braking it will clog up and then fail, and that falls outside of fair wear and tear warranty classification and is considered how you drive your car - as is clutch wear for example. It is not the fault of any manufacturing/material in the part.

Sadly I think you are out of luck as regards a warranty replacement. Sorry.

I am, hopefully, more fortunate because I live with plenty of hills and long engine-braking deceleration is usual for me. I hope my GPF lasts a long time - fingers crossed.

Return to “MG ZS Forum”