Hello from Lincoln

MGB discussion board for Roadster and GT classic car models.
Jim_GT

Hello from Lincoln

Post by Jim_GT » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:09 pm

Hi guys,

I'm currently mid way through my complete restoration of my 1972 MGB GT. This is my first ever car and it's thrilling! But let's go back to the beginning...

Last October, I was thinking of buying a car as it was coming up to my 17th birthday and I'd always been interested in classic cars. My parents helped me find the car and we found a nice MGB that needed a bit of work doing to it and I'd managed to save enough money through three years of paper rounds. At first, I thought it would need a full respray but then as my Dad drove the car away with me, a very happy 16 year old, in the passenger seat we lost power to the rear wheels. Luckily, we managed to get a recovery truck to bring us back to Lincoln and with some close investigation we found out that not only had the drive shaft broken but the fuel pump, which had been changed for a cheap modern fuel pump, had given up.

My Dad and myself worked on the car and started paint stripping it over the Winter, For my birthday and Christmas I was given parts for my car including a new stereo and a drive shaft.

We've carried on working on the car together to this day and have enjoyed many cups of tea by the side of the car as we've been rubbing it down and polishing the chrome.

Just about to take my first driving lesson within the next week and I should hopefully pass my test around the same time as I finish the restoration of the car so it'll be ready for me to drive.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story so far,
Jim :D

Not_Anumber

Re: Hello from Lincoln

Post by Not_Anumber » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:41 pm

Its great to hear your choice of car Jim and lovely to read about you working on it with your dad. I have fond memories of getting my poor old dad out in all weathers to help me work on cars when I was your age.

Thats bad luck about the drive shaft, did one of the universal joints fail ?

Chris

Jim_GT

Re: Hello from Lincoln

Post by Jim_GT » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:22 am

Hi Chris,

It was the universal joint that connected to the rear axle that broke off whilst driving but I now have a new drive shaft with universal joints, so fingers crossed everything will be ok.

Jim

Return to “MGB Roadster & MGB GT Forum”