TF Electrical issues

Please post anything MG related that doesn't belong in the other model-specific forums.
GrahamE

TF Electrical issues

Post by GrahamE » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:15 pm

I have 2004 MGTF 135 with 40,000 miles on the clock, which I use as a weekend car...............when it works. I only drove it 400 miles last year because it has become so unreliable!!!
Lately it has developed some strange electrical traits which at present neither myself or my local mechanics can't get our heads round. Hopefully someone on here may have had similar problems and give me some advice.

The battery has always drained very quickly (2-3 days) when the car is left in the garage, so I use a C-Tek to keep it topped up. (First thoughts on this were the immobiliser or central locking?) as
Sometimes the central locking wouldn’t engage, so, I left the car in my garage unlocked and with the immobiliser off, but the battery still drained.
When I first bought the car there were no problems when it went on a long run. However, it has now developed an issue of not starting after being sat on the drive for an hour after a run.

Lately, after having driven the car 35-40miles, it developes a slight misfire and the stereo keeps going on/off as the ABS warning light also comes on and off. The first time this happened I drove a little further and everything settled down and the car ran normally.

During the MoT test a the ABS light kept coming on and the battery eventually drained. Eventually, the garage fitted a new battery (Dec 2108).

The battery still drains very quickly (2-3 days) if the car is left unused and the battery connected. Disconnect the battery during storage and reconnect for use and the car will start without any problems the first time, but may not start again if left for an hour.

Other day, the car was run up to temperature, the ABS warning light came on and the radio went off (and vice-versa) and this carried on happening until the ignition was turned off. When this happens there is a clicking noise (could this be a relay?)
At this point when the ignition key was turned there was no power for ignition, it made a multiple clicking noise finally made no noises at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dandre

Re: TF Electrical issues

Post by Dandre » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:53 pm

Hi Everyone, I've just bought a 2010 MGTF and have become an MG fan. However, I'm experiencing exactly the same electrical failures. I've read stories where owners have been charged hundreds and still haven't had these issues resolved. If anyone has found a solution, which may be something very simple, I'd be most grateful. I love the car, but am very frustrated that I can't currently use it without jump starting. Luckily, it's my second car. Definitely want to get it sorted for the summer! 😀

Return to “MG General Chat”