Jonah's Brooklands Green 1978 MGB GT

Nevermind model-specific, this forum is car-specific!! Please start a thread for your car and anything related to it. The history of an MG, its rebuild, its drivers or anything related to your car or a well-known MG car. Users must only discuss one car per thread here.
jonahnaylor

Jonah's Brooklands Green 1978 MGB GT

Post by jonahnaylor » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:53 pm

Hi all.

I've been meaning to post my car's profile since the forum launched, but I wanted to wait until my MGB GT has been to the garage for a chrome bumper conversion (as it's been booked in for a while now). I realise bumper conversions aren't for everyone and I too do love a stock car as much as the rest of you - I just thought I'd take a chance, I thought it would really suit my car's colour and look - it's also now part of this car's history and story now which is nice too.
20131203_100914.jpg
So here is my MGB GT 1978 with chrome bumpers.
20131203_100914.jpg (62.06 KiB) Viewed 6735 times
--
Yorkshire website design, domain registrations & hosting:
https://www.yorkshire.hosting

adamliptrot

Re: Jonah's Brooklands Green 1978 MGB GT

Post by adamliptrot » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:44 pm

Nice, loving the fish-mouth grille too.
More about my B: http://www.incayellow.com

MGB
Site Admin

Post by MGB » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:10 pm

I installed a complete set of LED dash bulbs, and I've been meaning to post a photo for months! I finally remembered after a night-time drive.
mgb_led_bulbs.jpg
MGB LED bulb dash lights
mgb_led_bulbs.jpg (40.79 KiB) Viewed 6157 times
It's really made one hell of a difference driving in the dark, before I just had very dim yellow tinges (probably mainly due to bad connections from old wiring) but with the LED bulbs barely needing any draw from the battery it makes for a very brightly lit dash however old the wiring is!

The speedo used to be very hard to see, but now I've no excuse to break the law haha.

The only problems with the new dash lights is that the flashers are TOO bright, and shine in my face - I may have to tone those down a little... AND I had to bypass the dashboard rheostat as mine wouldn't work with these LEDs (but I have heard others found it to work without problems).

All in all a big improvement. Note in the photo you can also see the footwell lighting I added over a year ago, these footwell lights come on when the doors are opened and also really help with seeing what you're doing in the dark!

Cruisinforicecream

Post by Cruisinforicecream » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:03 pm

Hiya mate,

Did you just change the bulbs with nice LEDs or is there anything else involved ? Mine are just yellow tinges at night most too dark to see, and that dimmer control takes the pee, it offers a choice of 'off' or 'nearly off'

jonahnaylor

Post by jonahnaylor » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi yes - I swapped them all a couple at a time. Mine were exactly like yours, dull yellow tinges!

The hardest part really was getting all the bulb sizes! But yes I didn't really go in too deeply checking amps/watts and exactly what the bulbs should be. I just used a bit of trial and error. When ordering I made sure they were all 12v though...

I started with these fantastic bulbs for behind the centre console switches:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-Hornby-Pe ... 1443694644

They worked great and were really bright - they also fit perfect.

I then took out a few of the others and measured them to get dimension, checked Google images for LED sizes to compare with and then ordered various cheap ones from on eBay (many of which were from China).

A few didn't work but most did - many were very cheap for packs of 2 or more.

Then once I'd replaced all the interior bulbs with LED and founds all the sizes, I then just bypassed the Dimmer or Rheostat control by putting both connectors to the same side. There are 2 terminals at one side of the Dimmer switch or you can connect 1 to each side. So if you join both connectors to the available connectors at the same side and just test it. If they're both on the correct side they should then work no problem as 'always on'.
--

Cruisinforicecream

Post by Cruisinforicecream » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:51 am

Cheers for that (one more thing to do ;) )

jonahnaylor

Post by jonahnaylor » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:48 pm

Cruisinforicecream wrote:Cheers for that (one more thing to do ;) )
Haha I know, at first I used to make a list of to-do bits but then I realised the list was growing faster than the speed I took care of things so I've ditched it and just work on whatever I feel like and live with the rest!
--

Return to “Your MGs / Specific MG Cars”