Leaky Carburettor

Nevermind model-specific, this forum is car-specific!! Please start a thread for your car and anything related to it. The history of an MG, its rebuild, its drivers or anything related to your car or a well-known MG car. Users must only discuss one car per thread here.
Shaun

Leaky Carburettor

Post by Shaun » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:19 pm

Looking for assistance, I have what appear to look like overflow pipes from my carburettors. When I start the car the fuel goes through the first carb, gets to the second, goes through and comes out of the second pipe (big leak of fuel). I can't find anything in my reference books and need some help. I need to know what they are, why they are there and what the problem is. Thank you.

MGB
Site Admin

Re: Leaky Carburettor

Post by MGB » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:39 pm

Hi it sounds like it could be your carb floats.

If you take the float bowls off the carbs you have plastic floats inside, if one or both of these leaks they trap fuel inside and cause the overflow into the overflow pipes. If they look ok (you can test by putting them in a bucket of water then holding up the light to see if any water/fuel is inside) then you will need to set the correct float level. Wrong float levels can also cause this.

Good luck :)

Return to “Your MGs / Specific MG Cars”