1979 MGBGT - Inca Yellow

Nevermind model-specific, this forum is car-specific!! Please start a thread for your car and anything related to it. The history of an MG, its rebuild, its drivers or anything related to your car or a well-known MG car. Users must only discuss one car per thread here.
adamliptrot

1979 MGBGT - Inca Yellow

Post by adamliptrot » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:15 pm

This is my MGB GT. While it was built in '79 it was first registered in early 1980, so while I describe it as a '79 car it is probably strictly a 1980 model.
It had been sitting in my granddad's garage for 17 years when we pulled it out so it needed a little bit of attention, though the engine was absolutely fine and we had it moving again under its own power in just a few weekend's work.

That was back in January 2009 and since then it's been a rolling maintenance / repair project. Everything is pretty much as per the original car (with some replacement parts swapped out for OEM-spec) except for the ignition which uses an Accuspark unit and the fuel pump which is solid state.

Adam
More about my B: http://www.incayellow.com

adamliptrot

Re: 1979 MGBGT - Inca Yellow

Post by adamliptrot » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:19 pm

We're all used to seeing the standard shots of our cars, so it's refreshing to see it from a new angle for a change.

I was up on my garage roof doing some repairs when I glanced down and saw my B sat on the drive and I ended up stopping what I was doing just to look. I've seen the B from an elevated position before, but not directly in front, so I had to grab my camera and take a quick shot.

jonahnaylor

Post by jonahnaylor » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:15 pm

What a beautiful angle. It somehow shows even more how shapely and curvaceous the B is. Especially in the bold Inca yellow. Really nice :)
--
Yorkshire website design, domain registrations & hosting:
https://www.yorkshire.hosting

JanB750

Post by JanB750 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:49 pm

Nice Car! Love the colour , We have painted our Midget in Inca Yellow , and now on the task of putting the car back together after many months of hard work and plenty of frustration!! But can see that its going to be worth it at the end of the day :)

adamliptrot

Post by adamliptrot » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:53 pm

Just ordered a bunch of rattle cans to do some rust-proofing. Decided on Dinitrol products as they seem to have the best write-ups, though can be expensive.

Going to start by spraying inside all the box sections, cross-member, above the petrol tank and anywhere else I can get access to with their rust converter to stop any corrosion which might already be under way and give an additional layer of protection. I'm them going to use their cavity wax to act as the 'proper' water shield. Finally I'm getting some underseal to touch up the areas of the chassis where the factory stuff has come away.

I've already started coating the suspension, cross-member and petrol tank underside with Eastwood's rust encapsulator followed by their chassis black which leaves a really nice finish. That stuff is paint brush work whereas the Dinitrol stuff is supplied in aerosols with long-reach nozzles which will let me get right inside in the box-sections using the access holes.

Hopefully this will mean I can extend the driving season without any worry of impending disintegration :)
I'll post some photos when I'm done.

adamliptrot

Post by adamliptrot » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:25 pm

Think this is going to be one of those jobs which just ends up snowballing!
Before I get into the box sections I decided to tidy up a few other bits. The sump had sketchy paint and rust patches, and the protective cross-members which run under the gearbox had a few places where the factory underseal had come off and rust was appearing. (yes I know that clutch hose looks a little twisted, but it looks a lot worse than it is, promise) :

I hit the sump with some degreaser and started to clean up the cross-members. Apparently even if the underseal looks ok, chances are there is rust underneath. I ended up cleaning up the whole cross-member:

So my plan of attack has changed a little. I'm going to treat the box-sections as planned, but I'm also going to have a look at the factory underseal, starting with the chassis rails and maybe moving on from there depending how things go (tbh the chassis rails will e plenty to start with, the underseal is pretty tough stuff). Here's a small section - you can see where I've scraped some of the underseal off and the bodywork seems pretty good (you can see the matt black original paint, even patches of yellow) but there is rust starting in places and this is what I want to sort out.

jonahnaylor

Post by jonahnaylor » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:47 pm

It looks in pretty good shape under there from the photos. I wonder if any previous underseal/waxoyl work has been done since the factory stuff?

I've heard it's usually the floorpans that have the most rust (certainly mine have some but luckily don't need replacing and have been welded and patched up well). Do yours seem in good shape? Where I noticed the rust first was behind the front seats under the carpet, it'd be interesting to see how fresh your ones are and if that does have any reflection on the rest of the underside of the car.

I bet it's going to look really neat when you're done, looking forward to seeing the finished protection. You'll be putting some serious miles on the B this winter without a care in the world!! :)
--
Yorkshire website design, domain registrations & hosting:
https://www.yorkshire.hosting

adamliptrot

Post by adamliptrot » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:15 pm

I'm aiming to do a little bit each night or so (you can't do too much as it's pretty strong smelling). Tonight was giving the sump, cross-brace and the back of the front suspension crossmember a coat of rustproofing (brush-on Eastwood rust converter) and giving all the drain holes a good squirt inside with Dinitrol rust converter.

The Dinitrol stuff is more like compressed air than paint aerosols - there's no rattle as it doesn't need mixing, so it's quick to get started. They come with a couple of extension lengths, a 6" or so and a 18" one. It's this latter one you use for the drain holes. It's very weird as you poke it through and keep feeding it though - you end up wondering where on earth the other end goes!

Anyway, spraying as you pull it out you should coat most of the internals - the pipe had a spray nozzle on the end which ensures a good distribution. Just make sure you stop spraying before the end of the pipe comes out the drain hole! You will get some on your hands as it tends to run back down the pipe as you're applying it from underneath, and it's pretty sticky stuff so it should coat the innards pretty well.

Return to “Your MGs / Specific MG Cars”