Restyling MGB GT Advice please

Please post anything MG related that doesn't belong in the other model-specific forums.
glock1092

Restyling MGB GT Advice please

Post by glock1092 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:17 pm

Hi

I am a new member, I have just purchased a rather nice and solid 1979 MGB GT (rubber bumper) I have bought the car with the intention of restyling it. I apologise to all the purists but I don't much care for the rubber bumpers. I am torn between converting the car the either chrome bumpers or semi Sebring look (just the front and rear valance ).

The car has a nice set of Minilites and is painted in the original colour Damask red. The MG also has a rebuilt engine done by Oselli to fast road spec so is quite nippy. I am looking at which style would be more desirable in the future if I decided to sell.

Thanks

Graham

jonahnaylor

Re: Restyling MGB GT Advice please

Post by jonahnaylor » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:08 am

Hi and welcome to the forum! Great to hear from another MG owner.

Well it is arguable that original is always better and worth more in the long run. However rubber bumper cars are still catching up with their chrome older counterparts in value and have to be completely stock and in great condition to fetch good prices... If you've modified other parts, steering wheel, engine etc you may as well go for other desirable mods that are in-keeping rather than sticking down the stock route and go for a Chrome bumper conversion kit.

I converted mine a few years back and my god it looks better! Like a different car and well worth it. The kit is fairly easy for the home mechanic or a garage to figure out and gives you all the parts needed to get the car looking great with the Chrome bumpers. Just don't pressure wash or take them through a car wash - the newer Chrome bumpers supplied aren't up the quality of the old MG ones that used to be on the older cars. Those new ones are a thinner metal with thinner chrome, probably made cheaply in China or such.

Good luck! :)
--
Yorkshire website design, domain registrations & hosting:
https://www.yorkshire.hosting

Not_Anumber

Re: Restyling MGB GT Advice please

Post by Not_Anumber » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:06 pm

I am rebuilding an accident damaged Rubber bumper MGBGT and was undecided for months about which way to go on the bumpers.
Like many I prefer the look of the chrome bumpers but I eventually decided that rather than tread the usual path of chrome bumper conversion I would look at a way of keeping it identifiable as a rubber bumper car whilst making it look rather less chunky and reducing the weight.

First off was to reduce the ride height to that of the chrome bumper car. Easily tackled with a pair of new front springs and a pair of rear lowering blocks from the MGB Hive.

I decided that what I really wanted was something that looked somewhere between a bumper less Sebring style (without the modified wings) and an MGRV8 but with a bit more of a defined grille. After much deliberation I ended up buying a pair of RPS front and rear bumpers which ticked the right boxes for the look i wanted. The rear simply follows the lines of the original rear rubber bumper though in a less bulky, lower profile way whilst the front is probably best described as midway between the look of a chrome bumper car minus its bumpers and an MGF. http://rps-ltd.info/new-developments.html . As they are bolt on panels rather than a conversion the car can be refitted with original rubber bumpers if a future owner wants to go that route.

Return to “MG General Chat”