Best first classic?

Please post anything MG related that doesn't belong in the other model-specific forums.
Nick Remer

Best first classic?

Post by Nick Remer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:47 pm

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,
I must firstly confess to being new to this forum, and so I must apologise if this is a repetition of a previous thread, however, any help is genuinely and sincerely appreciated.

I am looking for advice with regards to the purchase of a project car. I am currently 19 years old, but have gained full-time employment as a mechanic, so accessibility to certain tools and skills isn't a problem, however, I would like to get a car which I can try to restore, but can also use, if not as a daily driver, then use as a bit of fun on the weekends. While I have already begun looking for either an MG Midget or an MGB GT hardtop, any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Also, whilst I appreciate this will be a bit of a sensitive subject, is there any common faults I need to look out for, and if so, what solutions are advised to sort the problem entirely? I would prefer to leave things like power steering out of the car, but is there any other modifications that you would advise to improve the overall running of the car?

My father used to own an old 70's MG Midget mkIII (with the plastic bumper) which he 'did up' when I was young, and I have fond memories of him taking me out for drives around my home town in the Peak District, and since then, I have become obsessed with the idea of owning my own classic British car, especially an old MG which I can do up and drive either in my spare time (or preferably) as a daily driver, when the weather permits.

Thank you for your response,

Nicholas Remer :)

Return to “MG General Chat”