MG GT as first car?

MGB discussion board for Roadster and GT classic car models.
jamarityler0

MG GT as first car?

Post by jamarityler0 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:30 pm

yo yo. i'm a boi from across the pond and i'm looking for my first car and the Mercedes R107 is my type of style but it's too damn expensive, but i found a huge number of MG cars for sale in my area. i found this that really caught my eye: https://offerup.com/item/detail/554145296/

i noticed that the price is quite low which (for me) is kind of red flag knowing that this is a rare, older sports(ish) car and there can be a world of problems with something like this.

there isn't too much info on these babies here in the US so i sought to ask you guys if you would recommend one of these as a first car.

so i'd just like to ask; how reliable are they, is the manual trans. easy to get used to, is there any tip i should know about these?

MGB
Site Admin

Re: MG GT as first car?

Post by MGB » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:29 pm

Hi sorry for the slow reply but I would highly recommend an MGB GT for your first car!

An MGB GT was actually my first car and I still have it many year's later. It is ideal as a starter car if you don't mind learning about how to fix a car and do basic maintenance and get your hands dirty a little. If how cars work interest you then I'd say get an MGB GT.

They're also very practical and very reliable once all the teething issues and problems with such an old car are sorted out. But you learn as you go along and work on things and fix each thing.

Lots of boot space in the back for a sports car as the small back seats drop down flat. And you have those small back seats there for kids or passengers or a dog etc when you really need it. Lots of leg room in the front too.

And although no one thinks of MGB's as fast these days, they really aren't slow at all. I cruise easily at 70mph on the motor way in mine and the top speed is over 100mph, so not slow at all and will even beat some modern cars!

Once you get some slotted and drilled front brake discs and a few modern improvements added to the car like electronic ignition you'll have a real nice motor!! :)

Best of luck and let us know how it works out if you buy one please...

Jim_GT

Post by Jim_GT » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:14 pm

Hi,

I've just joined the forum and seen this thread, I have got a MGB GT as my first car and even though it is not on the road yet, it is a fabulous car and I love it!

And I think by doing work on the car to make it as original as possible is bringing me closer to the car and making me have more passion towards it.

Not_Anumber

Post by Not_Anumber » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:34 pm

Id really recommend an MGB also. Very mechanically straightforward and accessible hence easy to work on. Also they are generally easy to get parts for and there are an awful lot of owners you can learn from and swap stories with. The MGB and MGB GT are simply (but well) built sports cars that are good fun to drive. Whether you buy one for regular use, keep it polished and locked away for shows and sunny days or buy a rough one to restore I can pretty much guarantee you will have fun. There are owners who are purists and there are owners who modify them ,fit different running gear and interiors etc. They aren't a car which only appeal to the purists certainly.

Strange you mentioned a Mercedes R107 as i had one a few years ago, something I aspired to for years, enjoyed owning, did some mild restoration on and then ultimately had to sell due to an increase in the size of the family. :cry:

Iv never really compared the two directly as I owned them so many years apart. The Merc was built on the underpinnings of an older series of saloon car , it was not evolved from the previous model SL which most people assume. This made it quite a heavy car for its size, at least for a European car of that time, in fact its a bit heavier than the much larger W126 S class . The electrics on the Mercedes were better than the MGB but when i think of it mine still needed the fuse terminals cleaning up and spraying occasionally , something that i haven't had to do on the B GT but have had to do once on my 1983 Ford Capri. The Ford is great too for similar reason to the B GT though parts can be a bit more expensive.

Id better sign off and stop talking about other marques before the admins kick me off. Buy an MGB GT,

Jim_GT

Post by Jim_GT » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:36 am

You've truly had some amazing cars there. I love the MGB GT even though I haven't driven it yet I can tell it'll be a winner, I love the Mercedes and Ford Capri as well and someday I hope to own one of them someday to restore into it's almighty glory.

I think as a first car, the MGB GT is the best because as has already been said, it's simple to work on which means that you're not having to pay extortionate prices to mechanics.

Return to “MGB Roadster & MGB GT Forum”