wind down window seals

MGB discussion board for Roadster and GT classic car models.
blackmoggy

wind down window seals

Post by blackmoggy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:29 am

Hi everyone, ive only had my MGB GT since 1979 and have to admit to being a mechanical idiot, the car was restored ? a couple of years ago by a bodger it turns out, the window strips come out when the windows are wound up. taking the plunge into in depth car maintenance I found that the retaining clips had not been fitted, ordered some clips from the nice people at Swavesey but now find I don't have a clue how to fit them, and help would be appreciated.

jonahnaylor

Re: wind down window seals

Post by jonahnaylor » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:09 pm

Hi I've fitted new seals at the bottoms of the windows (are those the ones you mean?) and I've got to admit the retaining clips are a complete pain!

Not sure what the correct way it, but I used Gardening wire (the green thin wire with the plastic coating on it) and made a hook so that I could slide each clip into position and hold it there as I fitted the seal. The wire snaps pretty easy, so I think I ended up twisting it on itself several times round each clip, then just snipping it off after. I may even have a few traces of the wire still in the top of the door which you can only see from the inside on very close inspection looking down the glass....

Maybe someone else knows the correct way, but this method worked for me even if it was awkward.

Good luck and let us know how you go!
--
Yorkshire website design, domain registrations & hosting:
https://www.yorkshire.hosting

Return to “MGB Roadster & MGB GT Forum”