water loss overnight

MGF and MGTF car discussion forum
bill1953

water loss overnight

Post by bill1953 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:40 pm

I have recently bought a 2001 1.8 F from a main dealer who had taken the car in part ex. It has a full history with all maintenance carried out on time. There is no evidence of a head gasket change. Its a very solid car, and my plan is to repace the somewhat tired interior with leather, add a hard top and generally tidy up its looks, replace all dics, pads and rear calipers to get the brakes up to spec. It has covered 74,000 backed up by history and MOT certs.
From my days in the engine parts business I am only too well aware of the head gasket issues with the K series engines, however, as this one appeared to run well, with no sign of overheating in warm weather, heavy traffic or high speeds, I would assume that all is good. BUT, and there is usually a but , after a fairly quick 80 mile drive on saturday I parked the car and left it until Tuesday morning. I could see antifreeze coloured water trickling out of under the car. I checked the expansion tank and the water was almost all gone. The weird thing is that after parking it, I walked past the back of the car several times that evening and there was no water running on the floor. It appears to have dropped it overnight when cool. Looking at the rear of the car, it looks to be falling from somewhere on the right hand side. The oil filler cap is clean, as is the filler tube, there was a tiny bit of sludge on dipstick, which didnt concern me, lots of cold starts and short drives often cause that. The oil, although dirty wasnt full of the usual giveaway sludgy mayo. So, with a temperature gauge staying slightly below half way whatever the speed, traffic etc, I would not suspect the head gasket. Has anyone had the same issue?

Return to “MGF and MGTF Forum”