My new MG

MG ZS car discussion forum
PMG

My new MG

Post by PMG » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:11 pm

So, I bought a new MG ZS Exclusive. I had been looking for my next car for a couple of years because the one I had was getting older, and I am also getting older (and fatter) and maintaining it was becoming less enjoyable. And it was too small for my future needs.

I have never owned any MG before so I am not trying to relive my youth – this was a pragmatic purchase. I recall MG cars from the 1970’s and I was too tall to ever own one. I do remember a visit to the Abingdon factory back then and it was literally a 10 acre wooden shed. Each MGB was on a wooden dolly on a rickety railway on a rickety wooden floor and was pushed from one bloke to another to have it’s bit screwed on. It was all rather quaint by today’s standards.

Anyway.

I was originally signed up for a 2019 model, but the Covid thing got in the way and I was put on hold. However, as luck would have it, that turned out to be a good thing because the 2020 facelift model came on the scene and I fell in love with it when I saw it.

I thought the earlier model was handsome but next to the facelift it was less so. The 2020 model is handsome and pretty at the same time. The styling is subtle and modern and has a presence about it. The inside is exceptionally smart and expensive looking – the designers have done a superb job. I have two people I know who are better off than me and knew nothing of MG today and one valued it at £32,000, and the other, a Jaguar owner, was quite upset that my MG was as nice as his car and had more gadgets for a lot less money.

I was worried about the “piano” key controls instead of rotary knobs for the heating/ventilation aspects but I found them intuitive within minutes of using them. In addition I was wary I would not like the all-digital speedometer and engine revolution counter. But once again I settled to it on the drive home and now don’t give it a second thought. What helps is each gauge has a repeater rising/falling red surround which gives a semblance of rotary dial in addition to the digits. It’s all rather sophisticated in fact. Also the touch screen (my first ever) is easy to use and just works intuitively.

The engine is the 1.5 litre because I have a manual gearbox. It isn’t the quickest car around but 0 to 60 in 11 seconds is acceptable and it gets along well enough for me. It is essential to watch the road ahead though and anticipate any upward incline and keep the engine revs in the right place – it will fall off the speed quite quickly if left in too higher gear. It does not bother me though because I like stirring the gearbox, and it is just what you do when driving properly. Keep an eye on the torque/power thing and you will be fine.

The tech stuff in the car is well above it’s price bracket and I want for nothing – the heated seats are blissful. I have read the owners manual many times now and I have got it all sorted. I have never owned a car with this much gadgetry and I have taken to it easily and find it blends with my old-school driving knowledge – it doesn’t replace anything I have learned about driving for 48 years but it does add to it. MG did a good job bringing it all together.

I like this car a lot and any shortcomings (I have not found any) can be forgiven for the price and 0% APR. To call it a bargain seems wrong because it makes it sound cheap, but as a pragmatic purchase against it’s peers it stacks up as real value for money.

So there we have it. I found an expensive car for a low price. What’s not to like.

Return to “MG ZS Forum”